A WYSIWYG is an editor that allows a developer to preview the end results before the actual interface or document is made live. The full form of WYSIWYG is "what you see is what you get". This type of software allows you to edit content in a form so that it looks same when displayed or printed.
There are numerous WYSIWYG editors that offer features like Multi-view and Multi-Language support. It also offers readymade layout to create websites, support for HTML5 and CSS3, etc.
Following is a handpicked list of Top WYSIWYG EDITOR, with their popular features and website links. The list contains both open source(free) and commercial(paid) software.
1) CoffeeCup HTML Editor
A coffee cup is a WYSIWYG HTML editor, which helps you to utilize the split-screen preview to see your webpage. The tool allows you to open the W3C mark-up validation service in your default web browser.
- Helps you to utilize the split-screen preview to your webpage
- Ready for the semantic web
- Offers built-in Validate HTML tool opens the W3C markup validation service in your default web browser.
- The built-in FTP uploader helps you to publishes the website to the place of your choice
- Split-Screen Preview features allow you view your webpage in a browser right from the Code Editor.
2) Apache NetBeans
NetBeans is an open-source code editor tool for developing with Java, PHP, C++, and other programming languages. It also offers features of code analysing and converting. It allows you to upgrade your applications to use new Java 13 language constructs.
- Easy and efficient project management
- Offers fast & smart code editing
- Rapid User Interface Development
- Helps you to write bug-free code
Notepad++ is a popular free to use code editor written in C++. It uses pure win32 API, which offers greater execution speed and small program size. It runs only in the window's environment, and is available under the GPL License.
- It has auto-completion features for words and functions.
- It offers macro recording and playback facilities.
- User-defined syntax highlighting and folding
- Entirely customizable GUI
- Multi-view and Multi-language support
4) Google Web Designer
Google Web Designer helps you to create engaging HTML5 content. It enables you to use animation and interactive elements to bring your creative vision to life and offers seamless integration with other Google products, like Google Drive, Google Ads, Display & Video 360, etc.
- Offers dynamic workflow
- Google Web Designer provides wide range of display and video ad formats
- Support for Responsive ads
- Easy and effective Google Integration
- Helps you to create beautiful, engaging HTML5 content
5) Sublime Text
- It allows you to highlight syntax.
- It has command Palette implementation that accepts text input from users.
- Handle UTF8 BOMs in .gitignore files
- Display badges for folders and file to indicate Git status
- Changes to a file are represented by markers available in the gutter.
Dreamweaver is a popular HTML editor which helps you to create, publish, and manage websites. A website created with Dreamweaver can be uploaded to any web server.
- Dynamic websites can be quickly developed using Dreamweaver.
- It provides readymade layouts to build a website.
- You can create a website that fits any screen size.
- This tool helps you to customize workspace the way you like.
- It has an inbuilt HTML validator to validate your code.
TinyMCE is the rich text editing platform that helped launch Atlassian, Medium, Evernote (Text editing tool), and more. You can integrate TinyMCE React, Angular, Vue.js, Bootstrap, RAILS, dojo, jQuery, etc.
- Highly configurable with a large ecosystem.
- Modern, mobile-ready and enterprise-grade
- Store and edit images and files on any webserver
- Offers dynamic file upload for any browser.
Ckeditor is a smart WYSIWYG editor that has components with collaborative editing. It allows you to paste from Excel, Word, tables, etc.
- Offers features like autocomplete, @mentions, widgets,
- Offers full control over content: HTML filtering and view source mode.
- Great accessibility: Section 508, compliant, and WCAG 2.0 AA.
- Custom output format and Markdown support.
- Extensible and customizable by design
- It helps you to boost productivity with auto-formatting and collaboration.
Quill is a free, open-source, powerful WYSIWYG editor that is built for the modern web. Its modular architecture and expressive API is an ideal HTML editor to fit any need.
- It supports all modern browsers on tablets, desktops, and phones.
- Granular access to the editor's content, changes, and events through a simple API.
- Rich text editors who are built to help people write text.
- It allows you to do custom content and formatting.
Froala is the next Generation WYSIWYG HTML editor. This easy to integrate editor is widely used by developers because of its clear design.
- Powerful API and documentation
- Offers more than 30 out of the box plugins to choose from
- Froala rich text editor has a vast range of both simple and complex features for all kinds of use cases.
11) Komodo Edit
Komodo edit is an easy to use and powerful code editing tool. It allows you to do debugging, unit testing, code refactoring. It also provides code profile, plus integrations with other technologies like Grunt, PhoneGap, Docker, Vagrant, and many more.
- Multi-Language Editor
- A lot of contemporary color schemes
- Native Unicode support and compatibility checking
- Easily integrates into the desktop environment.
12) Visual Studio Code
- Easy working with Git and other SCM (Software Configuration management) providers
- Code refactoring & debugging
- Supported platform are Mac, Windows, Linux
- Easily extensible and customizable
OpenElement is a freeware website design and authoring application published by Element Technologie. The tool is powered by Chromium, the Google Chrome engine, and runs on Microsoft Windows.
- Intuitive interface
- Everything is editable
- Helps you to manage code
- Reusable styles and element packs
- Multilingual websites
- Responsive design
- Fully customizable CSS
- Element editor - create & share elements
- Easy integration of Image and code optimization
- Powered by Chromium
NoteTab is the best Notepad replacement out there. For webmasters, it's the fastest HTML editor. It is the most versatile text editor that offers improved syntax highlighting for HTML.
- Searching with easy-to-use wildcards
- Real-time word count
- Syntax highlighting for CSS
- Text statistics for SEO
- Support for HTML5 and CSS3
- New HTML/CSS libraries
Atom is a useful HTML code editor tool preferred by programmers due to its simple interface compared to the other editors. Atom users can submit packages and them for the software.
- Package Manager Integrated for plugins support
- The feature of smart autocompletion
- Auto-completion: Word completion, Function completion
- Macro recording and playback
- Support multiple panes
- It has an integrated package manager.
- This cross-platform tool editing
- Search preview, and replace text typed in a file across the entire project.
- It offers a command palette that contains items that are used repeatedly.
- Allow cross-platform editing
16) Ultra edit
Ultra-edit is a widely used powerful text editor who meets the most powerful subscription package and fits any budget. You can easily open and edit a large file that is beyond 4 GB of size.
- Powerful search: Find & replace in files, inverse search regular expressions, etc.
- Code syntax highlighting in a various programming language
- Offers code folding and hierarchical function listing
- You can reformat source code
- Feature of XML handling: XML tree view, reformatting, validation, etc.
- Multi-caret editing and multi-select
- Support Column (block) mode editing
- Search: find & replace in files, regular expressions, inverse search, etc.
- Code syntax highlighting in any programming language
- Powerful XML handling
- Smart templates - automatic intelligent code completion
- Auto-closing XML/HTML tags
17) WYSIWYG Web Builder
WYSIWYG Web Builder is an easy to use and highly responsive tool. It allows you to browse thousands of free-to-use, high-quality images.
- Easily add Google fonts and other web fonts to your website.
- Lightweight notifications designed to mimic the push notifications
- Offers more than 150 pre-defined animations
- Send emails, upload files, store data in MySQL
BlueGriffon is an open-source HTML editor powered by Gecko, which is Firefox's rendering engine. It has a simple interface and most usual features needed to create web pages.
- Easy to change the colour of the font or to adjust the border style
- Opens tabs from the last session
- Supports Mac, Windows, Linux platforms
- Shortcuts for CSS editing
- Multiple themes for source view
Aloha is a WYSIWYG editor tool. With the help of this HTML editor, it is possible to edit a website directly on the portal. The tool allows fast, uncomplicated editing of photos, graphics, animation, and text.
- Helps you to reduce tome of content manager
- Easily expandable base on your requirements and preferences.
- Copy your content from Microsoft Word without formatting problems.
- This image editor allows you to edit the content of your website.
Brackets is a lightweight tool developed by Adobe. It is an ideal text editor which is open source. This tool helps you to a toggle between your source code and the browser view.
- Quick Edit UI feature puts context-specific code and tools inline
- Offers live preview, pre-processor support, and inline editors
- Especially developed tool for macOS
- It comes with the inbuilt extension manager for fast & effective extension management.
Aptana is powerful open-source web development tool. It offers many customizable new features that help you to be more productive. The tool allows you to build web applications quickly and easily using the industry's leading web application IDE.
- Keep-synchronized setups
- Helps you to access a command line terminal for execution of operating system commands and language
- Offers you to put your projects under git source code control
Coteditor is a useful HTML editor for macOS. Therefore, it looks and behaves exactly like macOS applications. The tool allows you to write your text immediately whenever you want.
- Colorize more than 50 pre-installed major languages like HTML, Python, PHP, or Ruby.
- Split a window into multiple panes
- Inspect Unicode character data of each selected character
- Allows you to create own macro in your favorite language
- Estimate various file encodings accurately.
- It allows you to access all your settings, including syntax definitions and themes from a standard preferences window.
The ContentTools is a free to use HTML editor software. It is one of a collection of libraries that is designed for building tools that make it easier to edit HTML content. The tool offers a library that provides a fully functional page editor, which is the subject of the Getting started guide.
- IT offers full API documentation and examples.
- The ContentTools WYSIWYG editor should be added to any HTML page in a few simple steps
- Step-by-step guides for common use scenarios and more advanced topics
Summernote is an easy to install HTML editor. It supports Bootstrap 3.x.x to 4.x.x. It offers easy integration with 3rd parties like Django, Rails, and Angle,
- Easy to install HTML editor
- Customize by initializing various potions and modules.
- Easy integration with 3rd parties like Django, Rails, and Angular.
- Smart user interaction
- Supports Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Edge browsers.
- Works different OS like Windows, macOS, Linux, etc.
Textbox.io's HTML editing tools and simple user interface. It let you create HTML on your desktop and on mobile. This HTML editing tool includes text formatting, hyperlinks, tables, etc.
- Built-in image handling & storage
- File drag & drop
- Spell check & autocorrect
- Clean copy-paste from Microsoft Word
- Cross-browser support