Amazon web service is a platform that offers flexible, reliable, scalable, easy-to-use, and cost-effective cloud computing solutions.
AWS cloud computing platform offers a massive collection of cloud services that build up a fully-fledged platform. It is known as a powerhouse of storage, databases, analytics, networking, and deployment/delivery options offered to developers.
In this tutorial, you will learn
- What is AWS?
- What is Google Cloud?
- Why AWS?
- Why Google Cloud?
- Features of AWS
- Features of Google Cloud
- AWS vs. Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Disadvantages of AWS
- Disadvantages of Google Cloud
- How to Pick Your Cloud
Google launched the Google Cloud Platform(GCP) in 2011. This cloud computing platform helps a business to grow and thrive. It also helps you to take advantage of Google's infrastructure and providing them with services that is intelligent, secure, and highly flexible.
Here are the important pros/benefits of selecting AWS web services:
- AWS offers easy deployment process for an app
- You should opt for AWS when you have DevOps teams who can configure and manage the infrastructure
- You have very little time to spend on the deployment of a new version of your web or mobile app.
- AWS web service is an ideal option when your project needs high computing power
- Helps you to improve the productivity of the application development team
- A range of automated functionalities including the configuration, scaling, setup, and others
- It is a cost-effective service that allows you to pay only for what you use, without any up-front or long-term commitments.
- AWS allows organizations to use the already familiar programming models, operating systems, databases, and architectures.
- You are allowed cloud access quickly with limitless capacity.
Here are the pros/benefits of selecting Google cloud services:
- Offers higher productivity gained through Quick Access to innovation
- Employees can work from Anywhere
- Future-Proof infrastructure
- It provides a serverless environment which allows you to connect cloud services with a large focus mainly on the microservices architecture.
- Offers Powerful Data Analytics
- Cost-efficiency due to long-term discounts
- Big Data and Machine Learning products
- Offers Instance and payment configuration
Important features of AWS are:
- Total Cost of Ownership is very low compared to any private/dedicated servers.
- Offers Centralized Billing and management
- Offers Hybrid Capabilities
- Allows you to deploy your application in multiple regions around the world with just a few clicks
Important features of Google Cloud are:
- Constantly including more Language & OS.
- A better UI helps you to improves user experience.
- Offers an on-demand self-service
- Broad network access
- Resource pooling and Rapid elasticity
Here are major differences between AWS and Google Cloud.
|Age||11 years||6 years|
|Pricing||Per hour basis||Per-minute basis|
|What is?||AWS is a secure, cloud servicethe platform developed and managed byAmazon.||Google Cloud Platform is a suite ofGoogle's public cloud computingresources and services.|
|Containers||Docker, Kubernetes||Kubernetes Only|
|Best feature||It dominates the public cloud market by offering a range of cloud-based products and services.||It specializes in high computeofferings like Big Data but is fairlynew to the cloud scene.|
|Main service||The flagship compute service of AWSis Elastic Compute Cloud, or EC2.||Google's primary service isCompute Engine.|
|Cost||It's on a little higher end in terms ofcompute and storage costs.||It's a clear winner with itscompetitive pricing as compared toAWS.|
|Object Storing||Amazon Simple Storage Services also called (AWS S3)||Google Cloud Storage|
|VM disk storage||Amazon Elastic Block Store (Amazon EBS)||Persistent Disk (both HDD and SSD)|
|File storage||Amazon Elastic File System (Amazon EFS)||Cloud Filestore|
|Archive Storage||S3 One Zone- Infrequent Access. Amazon Glacier offers data querying capabilities.||Archival Cloud Storage.|
|Bulk Data Transfer||AWS Import/Export Disk: Shipping disk drives AWS Snowball (device-based) |
AWS SnowMobile: Exabyte- scale data transfer via ruggedized shipping container AWS is the clear winner herr.
|Nearline (low frequency) |
Coldline (lowest frequency)
|Hybrid support||AWS Storage Gateway offers managed virtual tape infrastructure for a hybrid environment.||Relies on partners such as Egnyte for Hybrid support.|
|Disaster Recovery Management||Offers cloud-based disaster recovery services.||Offers out-of-the-box DR or backup services|
|Backup||Amazon S3 is used for secondary backup storage||Has its own built-in Google Cloud|
|Serverless computing||AWS Lamba||Container Engine|
|Volume Sizes||500GB to 16TB||1 GB to 64 TB|
|Max IOPS per volume||500||3000 read 15000 write|
|AI service and Machine Learning||AWS has its own Al service, called SageMaker. Compared to Google, the AI offering of AWS is limited.||Google cloud used AI chips called TPU which can run TensorFlow and other AI Libraries. The speed andperformance is quite faster compares to other similar services.|
|Networking framework||AWS has no tiered networking framework.||GCP has its tiered networking framework|
|Data transmission format||In general format.||In a fully encrypted format.|
|Big data support||AWS has its own big data analysis tool which is called AWSLambda.||Google Cloud Platform has its AI known as AI Firstfor data management for its servers.|
|Available zones||AWS services are available in 21 different zones.||Google Cloud Platform services are available in 20different regions.|
|Companies using||AppDirect, Eat with Ava, Icarros, Valera, etc.||Bugsnag, Atomcert, Policygenius, PointsHound, etc.|
Here, are drawbacks/cons of using AWS cloud:
- AWS deployment process is not easy and very lengthy which can take up to 15 to 20 minute for a simple website
- Unreliable deployment with no error description
- AWS is not an ideal option for start-ups that are not tech-savvy
- You need to deploy your application yourself using recipes, capistrano, or manually.
- Launching multiple app instances is a very difficult process in AWS.
Here, are drawbacks/cons of using Google Cloud:
- Small components, difficult to start
- Out of Free Tier, everything costs.
- Lacks features compared to AWS.
Google Cloud and AWS both are good platforms. So, before deciding you should understand what type of feature your organization needs and how much you want to pay for them. Remember that, the right cloud service provider helps you achieve your business goal by enhancing the functioning of your organization. Since, AWS is the market leader in features and reliability our vote will tilt towards them.