What is Operational Testing?
Operational Acceptance Testing (OAT) is defined as a software testing type, where evaluation is done for operational readiness for a software application prior to the release to the production phase. It is also means Operational Testing.
Operational Acceptance Testing ensures system and component compliance in the application's standard operating environment (SOE).
Types of Operational Testing
- Installation Testing
- Load & Performance Test Operation
- Backup and Restore Testing
- Security Testing
- Code Analysis
- Fail over Testing
- Recovery Testing
- End-to-End Test Environment Operational Testing
- Operational Documentation Review
Why Operational Testing
- During OAT software configurations and operational support, components come together
- It tests the implementation of functional or structural changes to software or service in a functional or non-functional environment
- This testing determines whether an application can be deployed on a network according to IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) standards
- It tells whether a software will operate the way it is designed to without disrupting the business process
- OAT focusses mainly on these aspects of software product
- Recovering ability
- Manageability and supportability
Example test cases for Operational Testing or OAT
Following is a handy checklist to do OAT
- Backups taken at one site can be recovered to the same site
- Backups taken at one site can be recovered to the other site
- Implementation of any new features into the live production environment should not adversely affect the integrity of the current production services
- Implementation process can be replicated by using valid documentation
- Each component can be shutdown and start successfully within the agreed time scale.
- For Alerts- All critical alerts must go to the TEC and reference the correct resolution document.
- Alerts are in place and issued if agreed thresholds are exceeded
- Any recovery documentation produced or altered, including Service Diagrams, is valid. This should be handed over to the relevant support areas.
- Any component is affected by the failure, should show recommended order of restart, time to complete, etc.
In Software Engineering, Operational Testing makes sure that system and component's compliance in the application's standard operating environment (SOE).