Prototyping is an important part of any digital design process. It allows you to simulate web designs, explore different user experiences, and test outflows within your projects. There are many prototyping tools available in the market.
Following is a curated list of top 38 handpicked Prototyping tools with popular features and latest download links. This comparison list contains open source as well as commercial tools.
Moqups is a simple to use prototyping tool that helps you collaborate in real-time on wireframes, mockups, diagrams, and much more – all within the same creative context.
- Drag and Drop elements from a comprehensive library of widgets and easy to configure smart-shapes.
- Turn your wireframes or final designs into live prototypes by adding interactions or hotspots.
- Professional diagramming features for creating flowcharts, decision trees, sitemaps, use-cases, and more.
- It offers a built-in library with thousands of icons from the most popular icon sets.
- Provides support for native support for drag and drop or copy/paste to import images from your desktop or other apps
2) Marvel App
Marvel is a browser-based prototyping tool that simplifies the process of prototyping. It allows you to upload your image files and helps you to add gestures and transitions.
- Helps you to create realistic prototypes, without code
- Allows you to validate the idea with user testing
- Offers fast URL sharing and embed codes for your mockups
- Marvel App supports direct uploading of particular image types such as JPG, GIF, and PSD.
Download Link: https://marvelapp.com
Invision is another popular prototyping tool in the world. Project management page helps you to organize design components into a status workflow.
- It allows you to upload multiple file types, including JPG, PNG, GIF, PSD files
- Offers flexible layer styling and pixel-perfect layout
- Offers push and pull integrations with apps like Slack, Dropbox, Trello, and JIRA.
Download links: https://www.invisionapp.com/studio
JustInMind is a prototyping tool for creating high-quality work, although at a very steep cost. Another advantage of this tool is that you can download on your computer for offline work anywhere.
- Allows you to export your prototype to a fully functional HTML document and make it readily available to view in any web browser.
- Create wireframes for websites and web apps that adapt to multiple screen resolutions for desktop and mobile
- It offers access to use items from UI libraries and download numerous add-ons.
Download link: https://www.justinmind.com/
Flinto prototyping tool comes in two versions??as an iOS app and a web app. The best thing about these prototyping tools is that it allows designers to build both simple click and complex interactive prototypes without knowing about coding.
- It allows you to control all layers and varying complexity.
- Apps use a drag-and-drop system for prototyping.
- Allows you to navigate your prototype using taps, swipes, scrolls even 3D touch.
- Helps you to add customizable scrolling to any group in your app design.
Download link: https://www.flinto.com/
Proto.io is another useful prototyping tool for creating lifelike prototypes allows you to develop rough ideas right through to fully fledged designs. The tool also offers plenty of possibilities for your projects, for creating detailed animations and custom vector animations.
- Allows you to record users' tests
- Offers Sharable prototypes
- Provide support for VR prototyping
- Offers Add-ons available
Download link: https://proto.io/
Origami tool was developed by Facebook to help the team build and design products. It allows you to import Sketch and Photoshop into Origami
- You can export your prototype components with just one click, so engineers can copy-and-paste into the project.
- Origami allows you to add a custom background to your design, view in fullscreen, and simulate using various devices.
- It doesn't allow your clients or design team comment directly on the project or versioning history.
Download link: https://origami.design/
Axure offers powerful prototyping without the need for coding. Offers dynamic content for providing hover functions if present.
- Conditional flow statements for checking conditions
- Offers math functions like adding or removing from the cart that reflects the amount
- Adaptive views for sizing the screen which depends on the screen size
- Animations on the prototype.
Download link: https://www.axure.com/
9) Fluid UI
Fluid UI, great Prototyping tools. It allows you to build high and low fidelity component libraries, live team collaboration, video presentations, etc.
- It offers rapid prototyping
- Build in libraries for over 2000 components
- Allows you to create interactive web and mobile prototypes with taps
- Allows you to upload existing Assets
Download link: https://www.fluidui.com/
Prott is an intuitive prototyping platform which offers everyone a say throughout the entire design process. It helps your ideal instantly.
- Design screens in next to no time
- Helps you to select from a variety of integrated UI kits
- Allows you to build your own UI library
Download link: https://prottapp.com/
Draftium is a free online prototyping tool for website ideation and collaboration. It helps to simplify the daily routine of web-designers, studios, marketers, and account managers.
- It allows you to visualize the idea of your website within 15–30 minutes
- Offers 350+ ready-made blocks and 300+ prototype template
- Prototyping in Draftium is based on blocks.
- All the edits performed by you will be displayed online.
Download link: https://draftium.com/
Wireframe.cc offers a free environment for building an ideal prototype for your business. It allows you to focus on our ideas and sketch them before they fade away.
- It helps you keep your wireframes simple by offering a very limited palette
- Offers context-sensitive UI
- The mobile devices come in vertical and landscape orientations.
- Allows to annotate your wireframes
Download link: https://wireframe.cc/
Pidoco prototyping tool which allows you to create click-through wireframes and use interactive UX prototypes quickly. It helps you to test prototypes on iOS and Android devices in real-time.
- This wireframe tool allows you to share prototypes, collect comments and edit screens with others in real-time
- Offers specification documents at the click of a button to hand to give your web development team as a blueprint
- Allows you to customize building blocks which helps you to improve design consistency in your projects
Download link: https://pidoco.com/en
UXPin is offers everything needed to design prototypes that work like they're the finished product. It offers prototype with functional and interactive elements generated from production code.
- Interactive Stateful Elements
- Allows you to use interactive text fields, checkboxes, and radio buttons of drawing their static imitations.
- Helps you to import prototyping by importing an existing web page or any piece of it to UXPin.
Download link: https://www.uxpin.com/
Farmer is another useful prototyping, and screen design tool which runs on macOS requires coding and is best used for Allows you to create animated or interactive prototypes.
- It offers easy exports of each frame and shape as bitmaps or vectors.
- You can do collaboration using comments and uploading prototypes to Framer Cloud.
- Framer offers plans and multiple team plans which cater to different numbers of users.
Download link: https://www.framer.com/
Sketch is a useful tool for modern web designers. It able to cater to the needs of designers by now include plugins for Sketch prototyping.
- Very flexible in functionality
- Easy to build prototypes
- Build symbols and reusable assets
- Helps you to share your prototype easily.
Download link: https://www.sketch.com/
Principle tool is built for OS X and comes with an iOS app to mirror live prototypes. It allows you to design the flow of a multi-screen app or new interactions and animations.
- Principle offers collaboration for teamwork.
- Offers flexibility of working offline
- It allows you to mirror your design on an IOS device.
Download link: https://principleformac.com/
18) Adobe XD:
Adobe XD prototyping tool allows you to draw, reuse, and remix vector to build wireframes, prototypes, screen layouts, and ready assets all using a single app.
- Designers more productive by just importing files from their tools of Adobe without any hassle
- It allows integrations with several of its products like Photoshop and After Effects, which is a big plus.
- It allows you to make comments on your prototypes when you share directly, and view designs in real time on actual devices.
Download link: https://www.adobe.com/in/products/xd.html
Webflow offers fast and seamless designing of prototypes is a fast and seamless way. It allows you to prototype into a production-ready site with the click of a button.
- The tool is focused on web animations, interactions, and responsive web design
- Webflow's clean, semantic code which can save many hours of code clean-up.
- It comes with site templates and web components which can be dragged and dropped into your prototype.
Balsamiq Wireframes is a small but useful graphical tool to sketch out user interfaces, for websites and web/desktop/ mobile apps.
- It allows you to build rough sketches of the prototype for clients to view
- It easy to collaborate and get fast feedback on your wireframes.
- It replicates the speed and convenience of developing mockups on paper, but also on a digital medium.
- It helps you to create simple and static wireframes.
Download link: https://balsamiq.com/
Kite is a powerful animation and prototyping application for Mac and iOS devices. It allows you to view our design in full screen in playback mode.
- Customize the background color and transparency of the playback window for a customized look.
- It offers simple and easy user interface that scales and adapts to your needs and the task at hand.
- Factor your design into multiple pages of content each with its own independent timeline.
Download link: https://kiteapp.co/
Design and test your prototype on every device with a supported browser. It also supports native iOS app for iPhone and iPad.
- Helps you to create truly responsive designs
- Allows you to focus on your design using the dark mode with Apples latest Mac-OS Mojave.
- Allows you seen the preview your design and test your prototype on every device and supported browser.
Download link: http://www.antetype.com/
Atomic is a web-based tool, which requires Google Chrome. It offers you the flexibility and control you need to fine-tune your interaction.
- It provides easy access to all developers by providing an effortless shared prototyping system.
- It helps you to rewind to see previous iterations and helps you to create new versions.
Download link: https://atomic.io/
Vectr is a free graphics software which is mainly used to vector graphics easily and intuitively. It's a simple and easy to use desktop and web prototyping tool to bring your designs into reality.
- It helps you to get started immediately without much learning curve.
- Vector graphics allow you to create blur-free logos, presentations, cards, brochures, website mockups, or any 2D graphic.
- Send Vectr document for real-time collaboration without the wait.
Download link: https://vectr.com/
- Allows you to assemble web and mobile prototypes of any fidelity in minutes
- Use WYSIWYG icons and breakpoints to set responsive behavior.
- Capture requirements and specs for each screen and UI element
Download link: https://www.irise.com/
Easee is a web animation tool used for the purpose of web designing. It allows you to simply drag and drop layers from Sketch or Photoshop,
- Provide preview animations by hovering your mouse over the library thumbnails.
- Animates CSS transform and opacity properties, provide you the best result.
- Preview animations in-app by hovering your mouse over the library thumbnails.
Download link: http://easee.design/
HotGloo is a UX, prototyping tool which helps you to design wireframes for web, mobile, and wearables devices. It allows to visualize planning processes, build and test drive interactions.
- Allows you to create and share fully interactive prototypes
- The tool has been designed with a low learning curve in mind.
- It offers a feature for edit, review, and tests your work on any mobile devices.
Download link: https://www.hotgloo.com/
Ux-app allows you to speed up your software prototypes. It allows you to work for desktop applications, mobile apps, and websites with this visual actions designer.
- Component Styling
- Allows you to invite team members to comment on your designs,
- Share a link to your prototypes to get instant feedback with clients
- Offers functional and nestable Components
Download link: https://www.ux-app.com/
29) Pencil project
A pencil project is built for offering free and open-source prototyping tool which allows you to install and use to create mockups in many famous desktop platforms.
- Pencil offers built-in shapes collection for drawing different types of user interface ranging from desktop to mobile platforms
- It supports connectors which can be used to "wire" shapes together in a diagram.
- Allows you to output the drawing document into different types of formats
Download link: http://pencil.evolus.vn/
PowerMockup offers an extensive collection of user interface elements and icons made entirely out of PowerPoint shapes. It allows you to create screen prototypes of mobile, web, and desktop applications.
- PowerMockup's offers instant search for finding the right shapes an easy task.
- Allows simple drag and drop from the library pane to the desired location on your PowerPoint slide.
- PowerPoint ensures that all stakeholders can participate in the development process.
- PowerPoint includes collaboration and sharing features that facilitate working in a team.
- PowerMockup shapes offer functionality that goes beyond what PowerPoint offers.
Download link: https://www.powermockup.com/
MockingBot helps you to reduced communication costs as well as trial-and-error and improved the efficiency of designing! Invisible issues come to light more quickly.
- Allows you to build clickable prototypes for Android, iPhone/iPad, tablets, watches, etc.
- It offers convenient and free design environment for designers.
- You can create demos looking like real apps using simple steps.
- MockingBot offers page transitions, gestures, and animations.
Download link: https://mockingbot.in/
Lucid chart is another important prototyping tool. It allows you to communicate with your team anytime, anywhere. It allows you to Increase security and easily manage user accounts while enjoying full access to advanced Lucidchart features.
- Diagramming made simple
- Integrate seamlessly with G Suite
- Helps you to collaborate anytime and anywhere
- Connect live data to your diagrams or import data to automatically build org charts
Download link: https://www.lucidchart.com/pages/
33) Skala Preview
Skala Preview offers pixel perfect, color perfect design previews from Mac to iOS and for Android devices. It provides to preview designs at certain zoom levels.
- Offers color accurate image previews to any iOS or Android device.
- Allows you to preview your design using immersive mode, or with status bars showing on Android.
Download link: https://bjango.com/mac/skalapreview/
34) Indigo design
Indigo design is a unified prototyping tool for Visual Design. It allows you to do Prototyping, Code Generation, and App Development.
- Allows you to create best-in-class UI designs using our component
- Helps you to generate high-quality HTML, CSS, and Angular code from your design
- Helps you to share, Collaborate, and Test the Experience with Users
Download link: https://www.infragistics.com/products/indigo-design
35) Framework 7
Framework 7 is a full-featured framework for developing iOS, Android & Desktop app. This free and open source tool also acts as an indispensable prototyping tool.
- It offers ready to use UI elements and widgets like models, popup, and others.
- It is an extremely fast and extensive tool
- The material theme is quite classic as it is built upon Google material design specification to bring pixel perfect design.
- Allows you to use any tools you love when working with Framework7
Download link: https://framework7.io/
36) Concept draw
ConceptDraw Pro offers a great resolution for business and technical diagramming market. It also provides a wide range of business graphic documentation solutions with thousands of stencils and hundreds of templates for rapid diagramming.
- Powerful Drawing and Diagramming Solutions
- ConceptDraw offers Web Design plugin for us, web designers.
- You can take the final mockup pages from ConceptDraw and produce the CSS and pages for a prototype.
Download link: https://www.conceptdraw.com/
Keynotopia offers the largest collection of UI design kits for creating mockups, wireframes, and interactive app prototypes using Apple Keynote or Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Allows you to develop a new slide for each app screen, and add visual components from Keynotopia
- Open prototype in Keynote or PowerPoint on your mobile devices
- Helps you make prototype interactive by adding hyperlinks between components and screens
Download link: https://keynotopia.com/